Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Head vs Heart

Here is some food for thought. I am sitting on an airplane and my mind is wondering and I started thinking about the life long and epic battle between head and heart. You know the battle that I am talking about. Do you follow your head and make the logical decisions in life? Or, do you follow your heart and go with your feelings?

My conclusion - go with the head.

While I am someone to make a decision based on a gut feeling and my intuition, this is still made with my head, not my heart. I have been thinking about moments in my life. The good, the bad, and the really really hilarious (OK not hilarious, but the really really ugly). And I can honestly say that my best decisions were always made with my head. When I make decisions with my heart, it always turns out badly and I always get hurt.

Yet, I never give up on making decisions with my heart. And this frightens the bejesus out of me. I know it is a bad thing to do, yet I still want to make decisions based on my heart.

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop this?

My head protects me. My head sets me up for success. My head challenges me to do better, to do more, to make a difference, My heart puts me into vulnerable situations. My heart forces me to put others' needs so much before my own, that I lose my spirit (and I am already one that tends to do this).. My heart changes the "Amyness" about me. When I am making decisions with my heart, my friends notice. They tell me that I am not the same, that I lose my drive and spirit.

I have to wonder, am I the only one? And, how do I stop it?

I am not trying to be cynical here. I am honestly just wondering.

The other day a friend asked me if I loved someone once. I responded that I did, but it doesn't matter. She was shocked at my practical answer. I further explained that if I let myself face life with my heart making decisions, then I would be a ruined weak pain, unable to figure out what I want, always getting hurt.

By the way, this isn't about love. This is about how you, how I, live my life. The decisions we make and the consequences we live with.

If something is right in life, then it is right. And my head will get me there... At least I hope it will.

No comments: