This got me thinking... what is a hipster (really) and how do you know if you are one (especially because being a hipster seems to be in vogue right now).
The first thing I did was to go to the dictionary (urban dictionary). They described a hipster as "a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter"
Hmmm... a lot of this fits me (except for the indie rock - i like real rock, appreciate of art - i like it but don't always get it). Let's dig a bit deeper.
Time magazine examined this culture (I think their definition is better). "Hipsters are the friends who sneer when you cop to liking Coldplay. They're the people who wear t-shirts silk-screened with quotes from movies you've never heard of and the only ones in America who still think Pabst Blue Ribbon is a good beer. They sport cowboy hats and berets and think Kanye West stole their sunglasses. Everything about them is exactingly constructed to give off the vibe that they just don't care."
The Hipster Quiz
- How many pieces of clothing do you own from a thrift store (not for the purposes of Halloween or a tacky sweater party)?
- How do you acquire your food? Regular grocery store? Only organic? Do you only eat locally grown food? Do you only shop at farmers markets?
- How many bands do you like that a person from the Midwest has never heard of (yes I can ask this because I'm from the Midwest)?
- What is on your t-shirts?
- How do you feel about brand names (of anything really)?
- Are you ironic?
- When was the last time you used the phrase (or thought)... "I knew them before..."?
- If you have more than one piece of clothing from a thrift store... Hipster.
- If you grow your own vegetables, turn your nose up when you think about non-organic food, or have ever commented on how far your food must travel to reach you... Hipster. If you go to the local farmers market but also eat the crap you find in a convenience store... not hipster.
- If the answer is over three... Hipster. If you enjoy mainstream music... not hipster.
- Wearing t-shirts of sports teams and sports leagues you play in... not hipster. If you have more than 2 shirts with random phrases or quotes... hipster.
- You cherish brand names because, well frankly, they're better... not hipster. A brand name hasn't touched you in months... hipster.
- If you've thought about this before you read the question... hipster. Ironic, how the hell is someone ironic (or you just think of the Alanis Morisette song and get angry because nothing in that song is actually ironic... much like this question)... not hipster.
- If the answer is last week... hipster. If the answer is related to a sports incident... not hipster.