Friday, July 9, 2010

The Homeless

I have a big place in my heart for the homeless. This is for a number of reasons, but especially because many of them are veterans and many suffer from a mental illness.

I carry around giftcards to sandwich shops that I give out to people and I always throw a buck in the jar of the guy whose sign reads "why lie it is for beer". I appreciate the honesty.

In DC, the homeless sell newspapers call "Street Sense" and the proceeds go to the community. Today I saw something that made me stop and think. Two women, maybe a few years younger than me, were selling the newspapers. They only let the homeless sell the papers and usually it is a middle-agd guy.

Seeing women in their twenties selling the papers made me think. What happened to put them in that position? It also makes me worry about the kids these women may have. I know women and children are homeless too, but it isn't something I think about.

Next time you walk by a homeless man sleeping on a bench and you find yourself judging (we all do it even if we try not to) think about the women and children who are also homeless and figure out a way to help them (even if it is something small).

No comments: