Sunday, April 4, 2010

Paul McCartney Concert

I went to the Paul McCartney concert last night in Miami and it was AMAZING.  My brother and I decided to pop down to Florida for Easter weekend and surprise me mom (she's been wanting us to come down and we're both busy so we haven't had a chance yet).  My dad, shockingly, helped up pull off the surprise.  We arrived on Thursday night, surprised mom and then proceeded to Miami on Saturday where I saw the best concert EVER (and I've been to my fair share of rock concerts). 

Here are the reasons I really enjoyed the concert:
  1. The mood of the concert was amazing.  There were about 60,000 screaming fans. SWEET.
  2. He played classic songs with a modern / rock twist.
  3. He was actually personable and told stories about the songs (see list below).
  4. Fireworks for Live and Let Die.  Can you say ROCK CONCERT (see picture below, it is fuzzy but hopefully you can at least see the fireworks)
  5. Sir Paul McCartney left the concert in a helicopter... ballin'
  6. I got there early and heard them practice.  They were even practicing songs that they did play in the real concert... SUPER DOUBLE BONUS for me.


His playlist was amazing and included the following songs, many of which he told us stories about. He also mixed in some of his newer songs with the Beatles ones.  It was a great blend.  I am sure I'm forgetting some of the songs he played, but I could only do so much.  I was very excited

  1. Blackbird - Apparently Sir John wrote this in England while watching the news of the civil rights struggle in the south.  I had no idea.
  2. Jimi Hendrix! He played Foxy Lady.  I didn't know he and "Jimi" were friends.  Apparently when the Beatles released an album (can't remember which one) Jimi opened with a song the next day at his concert (Paul was there).  The song put his guitar out of tune (because of some weird thing they did on the guitar for it) and Jimi had to continue to perform.  So Jimi went to the mic and asked if Eric was in the audience.  He was talking about Eric Clapton.  Eric, was apparently embarrassed, but did tune Jimi's guitar for him.  How sweet would it be to have Eric Clapton tune your guitar?  Paul said it was one of the greatest honor to  have Jimi play his music. This I never knew.
  3. Ob Li Di - This is the first time it was played in the United States
  4. Live and Let Die - WITH AMAZING FIREWORKS
  5. Let it Be - Do I need to say anything else?
  6. Hey Jude
  7. Daytripper
  8. Lady Madonna
  9. Get Back
  10. Yesterday
  11. Man on the Run
  12. Helter Skelter
  13. Magical Mystery Tour (during the band's practice session)
  14. Sgt. Pepper.
  15. Paperback Writer - He played the song with the original guitar he used to record it.
  16. Something (my personal favorite song, written by George Harrison).  I learned that George was a ukulele player and gave Paul a ukulele (that he used to play the song) and they would jam together.  Paul said that Something was his favorite some to play on the ukulele and he did.  Then it turned into a rock-version of Something.  Freakin' amazing.
He had two encores and played for almost three hours.  Bon Jovi doesn't even do that! And yes, this was better than the Bon Jovi concert and we all know how much I LOVE Bon Jovi (you can judge me now).

    No comments: