Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Michael Jackson... Seriously?

As you all well know, I am a huge fan of the eighties, but I fear what I'm about to say is blasphemy, but I'm going to take the leap and say it. Isn't it enough already? I mean I am a huge MJ fan and I enjoy his music and I am young and a child of the eighties, but does he really compare to the Beatles and Elvis? I know may of you would say... yes! Of course! (Someone even told me that he was a great symbol for African Americans... I didn't know how to respond to this).

The day after MJ passed was almost fun. People were playing his music on the streets and people were dancing... now that is a fun celebration. People were even having an impromptu dance contest in Dupont Circle. But come'on... it's been almost two weeks.

His memorial was yesterday. I'm sick of the 24 hour news coverage. Yes he did drugs, yes he bought his own children, yes he was in debt, yes he was accused (and acquitted) of child molestation, yes Macaulay Culkin has never been the same... but then there is the music.

So Michael... I am sorry you're gone. Hopefully your music (and not your legacy) will live on forever.

No comments: