Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Modern Woman - An Introduction


A friend on mine was reading a book called the "Modern Gentelman" over the weekend and I started asking myself... what is a modern woman???? Is a modern woman any different from what our mothers and grandmothers fought for in the early 20th century? This is a question I am going to ponder (at least from my opinion) occassionally because I think it is at least worth exploring. I wonder if there is a book for the "Modern Woman" that I can read to get some clues???

A modern woman can kill her owns bugs, but she shouldn't have to if there is a guy who doesn't mind doing the dirty deed. On the other hand, if a cute catepiller is in my vicinity, I suggest not showing how masculine you are and try to kill it. You may think you're doing me a favor, but you're really just killing a beautiful butterfly.

A modern woman should NEVER have to kill a mouse. This stems from my own personal tramautic experience when I have some critters visiting me and the only thing that got me thru it was coaching from some great friends over the phone (they couldn't tell if I was crying or laughing... to be honest I'm not sure which it was either), friends visiting me to help strategically place mouse traps, and a bottle of Jameson (and I don't even like Jameson, but the beer was too close to the mice).

A modern woman will try to do it all herself (I am GUILTY of this one) but should lean on others to help her out, even if it means calling in repair men to fix your airconditioner.

As a side note... I was searching on Amazon.com for a Modern Gentleman and a lot of books came up click here. I was hoping I could be sneaky and find something for a Modern Woman (like when it links you to similar books) but alas... here is what I found. I think this somewhat confirms my suspicion that a modern woman follows the same ideal set forth in the early 20th century. I will continue to investigate and let you know if I find anything worthwhile.

No comments: