Monday, August 9, 2010

A Name... Finally - REVISED (Again)

As many of you know, I've been toying around with starting a non-profit focused on examining issues that disproportionately affect my generation.  Ironically, that happens to be most of the issues that are being discussed today.

But before I can start my journey to change the world, I need a name for my movement.  I went through several iterations and most of them were shot down.  I tried to build consensus amongst people that may be on board with my movement.  Then I realized. This is my vision.  I am the only one who will be able to pull it through.  I have to lead it.  And then get others to hop on board.

The name (or at least the name I'm thinking of now) is CONTEMPATION or CONTENERATION

UPDATE: I just decided to keep it simple.  I'm going to call it the Contemporary Generation

Tempation - CONTEMPorary GenerATION

I am focused on being contemporary both in the sense of being modern, and relevant, but also in the sense that it is about a peer movement.

I am focused on the generational aspects of what is happening in DC.  So many of the decision being made by politicians today are going to disproportionately affect me (and I don't even have a representative in CONGRESS!!! Talk about the need for a real Tea Party movement) because I will be the one paying for the legislation.  I will be the one stuck with the public policy being made.  Yet people my generation aren't engaged.

Well, I am determined to change it.  If not because it is the right thing to do. Or if it is because I am stubborn and have a vision for how I can make this country better off.  But because the only real change in the world has been brought about by a group of small dedicated people.  And so it will start with me.

Let me know what you think about Contempation.  Or if you have a better idea.  I am all ears.  I need a name so that I can begin on my journey.

As a side, I still like Contempation (OR CONTENERATION) because it sounds like temptation. The temptation of people to mortage our futures or not listen to us.  Also, Contempation (OR CONTENERATION)... the Contemporary Nation for the Contemporary Generation.  It is a challenge for us to not accept the status quo and to shape our own futures.  It is also close to contemplation (and I have a feeling we'll need a lot of great minds to figure this out). I am an optimist and I do think that it is possible. Do you?

P.S. - I am still recruiting for people to join the movement.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

anything with the word contempt or something similar to it could carry a negative connotation