Thursday, July 1, 2010

Why I Must Wear Heels

Generally I don't think I am a vain person (feel free to disagree).  While I try not to look like a slob, I am just as comfortable in a dress and heels as I am in a hooded sweatshirt and sneakers.  However, since moving to DC I have found myself wearing heels... all of the freakin' time.

At first I wasn't sure what was behind this phenomenon, then, this morning I realized it.
  1. In Indiana... heels aren't necessary (who is there to impress? :-)). I am completely kidding, I would just have to trek through parking lots to get into work, where people didn't dress up. Point in case, I was at the mothership on Friday and people were wearing jeans and t-shirts.  I confess, I might occasionally wear jeans on a Friday, but I dress up my jeans.
  2. The real reason... I am vertically challenged.  Ok, I'm 5'4" to 5'5" depending on how straight I stand up.  This is a challenge when I ride the metro.  If I am not wearing heels I am tossed around like a rag doll because I cannot reach the poll at the top of the train.  People watch me sway back and forth, with no concern for my safety.  I usually get around this by wearing three inch heels so I can reach (just barely) the bar to hold on.  Now... me reaching the top is a challenge, so you'd think that the really tall guys leaning on the poll would be nice enough to switch... but no (I'll have to blog more on this later.
I am not sure if this is good in the long run.  I'm sure my mother would tell me stories of how bad heels are (she only wears flats now), but they do make me stand up taller.  Also, as I've gradually progressed into wearing heels, I went from them hurting my feet, to me being able to walk a decent mile in them.  You may ask why this is important... two words... HAPPY HOUR!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, trying being 5'2", wearing heels, and STILL being tossed around on the metro. Not fun.

Anonymous. said...

Man. I seriously wish I was more comfortable in heels. I'm 5'3 and I get trampled on wherever I go! I feel your pain... try learning to walk around a mountain-ish college campus at night.. in heels. OW. :)
-KC