Friday, July 30, 2010

Am I Self Sufficient?

I like to think of myself as a strong and independent woman... but lately, I am not so sure.  If you ask my mom, she will probably say that I like to do things on my own, not ask for help, and figure things out.  I know this because she was "proud" of me when I wasn't an uber control freak and let my dad help me drive to Florida during the first snowstorm last year.

But lately, I've noticed a few things.  Let me walk you through some examples:
  • Amy... be careful, you're dog is going to kill you when you go down the stairs.
  • Amy... did you get something on your dress.  Here, I have a Tide-to-Go stick in my desk and I can help you.
  • Amy... where did you get that gash on your leg?  You don't know?  Be careful!
  • Amy... you have a lot of bruises, were you playing a sport?
  • Amy... there is a car, you probably should walk out in front of it (or, someone just pulls me back from being hit). 
  • Amy... you're peeling. Did you forget to use sunscreen? You shouldn't do that.
  • Amy... 
You get the point.  I like to think that I can do anything I put my mind to.  Maybe this is true.  But maybe it is also true because I am learning when to ask for help (i.e. house cleaning, repairmen, etc) so that I can focus on the things in my life that will end up making a difference.  Maybe that is the new definition of being self-sufficient or "Super Woman".

I bet I'd look good in a cape



Who wants to do it all themselves anyway?  I am going to embrace the notion of outsourcing and ask for help when I need it so that I don't cut myself short.

1 comment:

Lauxwriter said...

Certainly, you are self sufficient., but not an island in and of yourself. Brava to you for finding the silver lining in your Wonder Woman cape! Lauxwriter