Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bittersweet Time of Year

For me, February is a bittersweet month.

It is exciting because there is the Superbowl (but I'm not going to talk about how the Colts blew it this year), but then there is no football until August.  Now I'm stuck watching basketball (which isn't too bad, but not quite as fun as football for me) and looking forward to March Madness and then there is nothing... nothing except baseball (which in my opinion is only worthwhile if I go to the game and drink cheap beer). 

In February, you'll get some nice days (oddly enough) but then you'll also get something like Snowmageddon which is just a pain (I had to cancel a pub crawl and I'm still a bit bitter regarding this because I purposely scheduled the pub crawl in February because there is nothing else to do).   You have spring to look forward to, but it is still a long way away.

But on another hand, I have a lot of friends (and my baby brother) who have birthdays in this month. 

Another good thing about February, there are only 28 days of misery.  28 days of bad weather.  28 days until March hits and we can look forward to March Madness.

I almost forgot.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDY!!!! (That is my brother for those of you who don't know)

On the con side, Valentines Day.  Let's be honest, I don't think it matters if you're single or in a relationship, VD can be a pain.  If you're single, then you have to put up with heart shaped everything and feel the pressure for why you're not in a relationship.  If you're in a relationship, then you have to put up with buying another gift for your loved one, going to dinner while everyone else is trying to go out to dinner (and paying more than you should because many restaurants charge a price-fixe menu).  There is pressure to be "on" on VD day... I argue, if you're in a relationship, then you should try to be on all of the time.

February also means that Spring Break is around the corner (and yes, even though I graduated college years ago, I still try and take a Spring Break... because everyone needs some woohoo in life).

Now that I think about it, February is just a month that  most people can't wait to pass by... a month where people are waiting for what comes next.

No comments: